Know The Difference Between Alumni, Alumnus, Alumna and Alumnae

Get Latest Education News: Universities, Polytechnics & Colleges. JAMB, WAEC, NECO & GCE News.
Olubest ~ ~  
Reactions:
Cash on hand: Locked

Post by Olubest » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:41 pm

This is the year 2018 and a lot of graduates still say "I am an alumni of so so institution", this is wrong.
In fact, I saw this statement somewhere online few minutes ago, this was what spur me to come up with this topic.
The difference in meaning between Alumni, Alumnus, Alumna and Alumnae shouldn't be overlooked.

Alumnus: This is singular, it stands for a male graduate student of an institution. It is referring to one male graduate student of an institution.

For instance: I am an alumnus of Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria.
My brother is an alumnus of the University of Oxford, England.

Alumna: This is singular as well but refers to a female graduate student of an institution.

For instance: My sister is an alumna of the University of Texas.
My mother is an alumna of the University of Ibadan.

Alumni: This is plural, refers to a group of male/female graduate of an institution.

Let's say you are in a gathering, and a group of men and women seated together somewhere are graduates of the same college (University of Lagos) and you want to refer to them.
You say "The people seated there are alumni of the University of Lagos".

Note: If the group is only made up of female graduates of an institution, they are referred to as Alumnae and not alumni

(Quote)

SHARE WITH FRIENDS

Queenbee ~ ~  
Reactions:
Cash on hand: Locked

Post by Queenbee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Well understood, you will make a great teacher.

Before now I know of Alumni and Alumnus, but I use Alumnus more often or just say whichever comes to my mouth....I never knew there is something like Alumna and Alumnae.

(Quote)

POST COMMENT

This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.

•  LOGIN